Wednesday, August 15, 2007

FAREWELL INDIA



Overlooking the Arabian Sea.

"Do not wait for life. Do not long for it. Be aware, always and at every moment, that the miracle is in the here and now." ~ Marcel Proust

My solo trip of self growth and renewal was over. For my last day in India, I bought an orange flower garland for my hair. I then had to try the 'Pon' that Rachel told me about. At a street stand, a large green leaf is smeared with some mystery sauces and many secret things from steel canisters are sprinkled over top. It was an act of faith to eat the cultural delicacy, as the man rolled it in his left hand. It is supposed to aid in digestion. The good news is that I am healthy and fine!

Most of the foods I ate in India:

Nuts, seeds, figs, masala chai tea, dried banana chips (yummy with black pepper), candied ginger, dried peas, lots of cashew/ sesame seed bars with jaggery (brown sugar), ghee (clarified butter) is on everything, spinach, lentils, and fruit salad (papaya/ pomegranate/ pomello/ figs/ banana/ pineapple).

The fruit is too expensive for many of the locals to buy. A lady was trying to sell me a lice comb on the street one day, and instead, I gave her an apple. Folks share food and drinks here, even the yogis. It really surprised me! At Mysore palace, a young Indian lady came up and asked for my water bottle. Strange, yes, but I gave it to her in a curious manner. She guzzled it, shared it with her friend, and then gave the rest back to me! Shocked, I said "No, keep it!"

Thinking about coming home to my real world was scary. The first 2 weeks I was there, I had to keep saying to myself, "I'm in India!", convincing myself that I was really there. Its hard to believe how centered I became in such chaos. Orderly chaos, as the babies don't cry, children are very well behaved, all are very polite (like calling women 'Madam'), no one fights/ peaceful, and even the traffic was a fluid flow despite the rules seeming blurry and the perceived chaos from this Westerner. A family of four is frequently seen on one motorbike, sometimes kids even asleep...and no helmets!

My only regrets this trip were: Not riding and experiencing the famous train and not getting to Kovolam. Next time!

Big shocker at the airport: Emirates Airlines charged me 1400 rupees per kilogram of extra baggage weight. You are allowed 20 kg, and I had 47! So I ended up having to pay over $600 Canadian (23,562 rps)to keep it on the flight. For those yogis in India...mail your stuff home!

When I went through security, there was a separate line for women. We were frisked in a booth with a curtain by a female. Must be because of the many layers of sari fabric. I saw some interesting face masks worn by the Muslim women. I didn't want to stare, but they looked like leather chastity belts for the face. Bizarre! My watched stopped as I was leaving India at 5:21pm. Adds up to 8, I thought it must be good luck!

In Dubai, I already feel the culture shock. First it was like a hot sauna, secondly, I saw women again in makeup, stilettos,and Gucci bags. Dubai is a consumerist society, based around shopping. Most women wear all black garb to the floor and veils over their heads. The mean wear white dresses to the ground with dishtowels on their heads. Africans in their traditional garb were also seen. At the airport, I buy Damian apple tobacco and an Arab 'Sheesha'(he laughs and says its a bong).

Each time the plane takes off, I am reminded of how a space shuttle uses more fuel during its 3 minute take off than it requires during the remainder orbit around the earth. There is a great pull exerted by the world that takes great energy to overcome. I will keep this in my head as a reminder of the energy I need to stay centered and focused.

"You don't find diamonds in storehouses, sandal trees in rows, lions in flocks and holy men in herds." ~Kabir

"Here I am in London town.." White people everywhere and everyone seems so much taller. People speak English and it feels so civilized. I had my make up done at the Giorgio Armani counter.

I am safe and sound and back in Canada now. Damian picked me up from the airport with flowers and it is sooooo amazing to see him again! He says I look emaciated. I thought my clothes got baggy from being washed on the rocks. We came home, straight to bed and slept. We got up at 11 pm, went for dinner and slept again until noon, despite the kids arriving home at 10 am and the phone ringing off the hook. CHAOS!!!!!

I downed 2 Starbucks chai lattes already today and went to get groceries...everything my heart desired at a real store! Funny, I ended up buying all of my Indian favourites! I notice I am in sloooooow motion. Being in the moment and listening to people talk seems so strange here. It is so fast and the topics and words seem so unnecessary.

I just breath.

Did you hear about the Zen master who ordered a hot dog?

He said he'll have One with everything.

No comments: